The 2021 SLW Ministry Grant Applications are now open!
You can also read more about the Grant details below.
We, the Sisters of the Living Word, are a community of 46 women religious founded in 1975 and headquartered in Arlington Heights, Illinois. Our Mission is to reflect and affirm the Word, Jesus, who frees the oppressed and gives new life.
We minister throughout the Midwest and South. Our works include youth and adult education, parish, health care, retreat and spiritual direction, counseling, healing ministries, environmental advocacy, and outreach to new immigrants as well as to victims of violence, hunger, unemployment and homelessness.
Purpose of Ministry Grant
- To expand the Mission of the Sisters of the Living Word
- To witness a corporate solidarity with people who are materially poor, marginalized or oppressed
- To promote ministries and SLW involvement in social concerns and peace & justice issues
The request must meet at least one of the following criteria:
- A ministry in which SLW are currently involved
- Addresses a justice issue on a local level
- Seeds a new venture or encourages a new or expanded program
- Funds a one-time cost
- Alleviates a pressing financial need
- Can not receive funding from other sources
Ratings will be given on project’s capacity:
- To relieve poverty and oppression or address the causes of these conditions
- To empower people to positively impact their current situations and move toward self-reliance
- To incorporate SLW Core Values in supporting systemic change
The SLW Ministry Grant Selection Committee will consider requests from:
- Sisters of the Living Word
- Non-for-profit organizations whose goals are in harmony with the purpose of the SLW Ministry Grant
The SLW Ministry Grant Selection Committee does not award grants:
- Of more than $1,000
- To partisan activities, lobbying, endowment funds or advertising in charitable publications
- To organizations that are not consistent with our SLW Mission, Stewardship, Mission Statements and Vision Statements
- To meet the needs of a specific individual.
SLW Ministry Grants are given for one fiscal year.
Applications must be received by Friday, April 2, 2021. Grant recipients will be notified in May 2021.
Return Application by April 2, 2020 to:
Kristine Vorenkamp, SLW
800 N. Fernandez Avenue Suite B
Arlington Heights, Illinois 60004-5366